Sunday, July 17, 2016

Making Chocolate Pancakes with Chocolate Coconut Milk

I went to Lake Tahoe in May with my family for my grandma's birthday. On our last day, there was a biking race that my father and uncle wanted to check out so we all went to have a look. Apparently there was an Olympian biker there as well as Christine Armstrong? I got a few pictures of the front leaders but don't know who's who.

Anyways, getting to my point, while we were there, there were a ton of tents set up with companies advertising their products and giving away free promotional items. One of these places was So Delicious, a company that specializes in dairy free products including nut ice creams (cashew ice cream anyone? Their cappuccino one is actually really good and you can't taste the cashews at all) and coconut milk/ice cream. I actually got a free carton of chocolate coconut milk and so when I got home, I had to figure out what to do with it. Yes I could just drink it, but I'm not a huge juice/anything drinker (I like to stick with my water and tea) so I figured, might as well see if I can bake anything with it. I then came across this post which inspired me to try it out. The original recipe used Silk almond milk but I figured coconut milk wouldn't be any different and the pancakes turned out wonderful (albeit a little flat and not your typical fluffy pancake) and delicious.
The original recipe calls for:
  • 1 cup Chocolate Silk Soymilk or Chocolate Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • Whipped cream for topping
I made a few changes (less butter and normal instead of Kosher salt) in addition to using the So Delicious chocolate coconut milk. For my next attempts, I plan to try using a substitute egg (flax seed + water) and/or whole wheat flour. I think it would be nice to also include chocolate chip bits in the actual pancake because you can never have too much chocolate!
Anyways hope you chocolate lovers give this a try and thank the original recipe maker! Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

No comments :

Post a Comment