Friday, August 16, 2013

Maybelline SuperStay 24HR Makeup Foundation Review

Maybelline SuperStay™ 24HR Makeup Foundation in Nude
Here's my review on the SuperStay™ 24HR Makeup Foundation By Maybelline! I know this foundation has been around for a while, but it never hurts to add another review to the web, right? :P Plus, I'm sure there are many of you late budders like myself who aren't looking for the newest products but rather one that just works well for its purpose. For beginners (myself included!), the three things you want to look for in a foundation are shade match, coverage&wear, and probably most importantly, how your skin reacts to it.

First off, let's take a look at what this foundation claims to do (taken from the Maybelline.com website)
  • Stays comfortable and looks naturally flawless all day
  • Micro-Flex formula provides 24-hour wear and no transfer
  • Withstands heat, sweat and humidity
  • Oil-free, dermatologist-tested, fragrance-free
  • Suitable for all skin types
This foundation comes in 12 different shades that have a variety of undertones ranging from pink, neutral, yellow, and whatever other colors there are. I own the shade Nude Light 50 and find that it matches me quite well though sometimes I feel like it oxidizes a little bit and turns a bit more oranger/darker than when first applied. Nude Light 50 has more yellow tones which I suppose fits me since I am Asian and most Asians usually have yellow or nude undertones while Americans have pink or nude undertones (bear in mind that's just in general though and if you use a fake tanner, those usually give more of a yellow or nude undertone). I've read that if you're an NC 30-35, Classic Beige Medium 60 can also match your skin tone so I'm considering buying that shade and testing it out. But for now, I will say that the shade Nude Light 50 does match my skin tone enough so that it isn't a problem and doesn't make my face look a whole different shade than the rest of my body in pictures or in real life. If you want to see all the shades, click here. And if you're still not sure what shade will match you best after looking online and in-store, go check out reviews and see what shades match different girls' skin tones and try and find the one that'll fit you best! Buying drugstore makeup is always a bit of a gamble since you can't try out the products as you might with more high-end ones, but there are so many great foundations out there that are like 10% of the price of some other ones that it's worth the risk.

Now onto coverage.. I would say the coverage is medium and can be built to full coverage if desired. Personally, I would stick with the medium coverage, but even when you layer the foundation for more coverage, it doesn't get cakey! As the site claims, it does look naturally flawless, but "all day" is debatable. It claims to be 24-hour wear - which I don't know why you would WANT to keep your makeup on for 24 hours anyways - and while I haven't ever worn this foundation for that long, I haven't actually seen any lapse in coverage throughout the lengths of times I've had it on. The longest I've worn this foundation for was about 15 hours and it lasted the entire time (no primer or setting spray!) - that's saying something. Of course you have to keep in mind that my skin type is more on the normal side with only some oiliness in the T-zone occasionally, and I WOULD recommend using a primer and setting spray if you really want/need your makeup to last as long as possible (and for extra insurance, you can never be too safe!). The finish of this foundation is more on the matte side rather than dewy and I haven't noticed any transferring problems when I wear this foundation. Plus, I wore this foundation to the One Direction concert and many other events where I was out in the sun and sweating, and it has lasted throughout all of them flawlessly! I didn't have to touch up at all! (Though I did occasionally press my hands into my face during the concert since I was worried it might start cracking - YES that has happened to me before with another foundation! - but I don't think it was necessary to be honest).
Ready for my one direction concert~!
The most important aspect about any foundation is how your skin will react to it. No matter how good a foundation covers up your flaws and imperfections, if it breaks you out, it is no good! You should always try out a foundation in store if possible - which obviously isn't when you're buying drugstore foundations which stinks big time but just keep this in mind if you ever decide to get a foundation from Sephora or any other beauty store where you CAN test out the products. Sephora is also really cool about giving out samples of the products so you can ask for a sample of a foundation you're interested in and they'll give you a tiny container of it and you can use the foundation for like a week and see how your skin reacts to it. If you want to be really sneaky, you can also just ask for a sample of a foundation that you've already test/know works well with your skin and doesn't break you out for your big event if you don't want to purchase the full size product because hey, I feel ya - makeup ain't cheap! I'll admit, I did that lil trick for my prom ;P But don't worry, I did go and buy the full size foundation afterwards because I loved it so much aha :) Anyways, back on topic, since you can't try out drugstore foundations, the best way to see if it might break you out is to read reviews (like this one!). Now I can tell you this foundation does NOT break me out and is fragrance free (for any of you anti-fragrance folks out there - have no fear!) so yes I would definitely recommend it to all my lovely lil readers. But of course you should read more than one review on any product, especially foundations. Everyone has different skin types and hormones and what not and if you have sensitive skin or acne prone skin, you definitely have to be careful.

Reading reviews from other beauty girls is so helpful so utilize them! One of the best sites to read up on reviews is Makeupalley. There are so many reviews on the site for basically every single product out there so you're bound to find reviews on a foundation you're interested in that will tell you whether or not lots of people have experienced break outs due to the foundation, what shade matched them best, and much more helpful information. Overall, as I mentioned before, I would most certainly recommend this foundation to anyone looking for a medium-full coverage foundation that will last for any event and isn't going to make your wallet cry. This foundation comes in a variety of shades that should match a majority of girls, provides a good amount of coverage and does the job of lasting throughout the day, and I haven't heard of any cases of it causing break outs so it definitely gets an A on my book list! Of course, when you're more serious about foundations, there are a lot more things you can be picky about when choosing a foundation such as packaging, scent, and feel on the skin, but for a basic beginner makeup girl, this foundation does the trick. The only negatives I have about this product are that (1) the packaging is a standard drugstore glass bottle packaging that DOESN'T come with a pump which can get pretty messy when you're pouring out the foundation and (2) I have noticed slight oxidation on some occasions though not enough to be a significant problem.


Well, I hope you enjoyed this review and leave a comment if you've tried this foundation and have anything to add or maybe counter! I know not everyone will have the same opinion, but that's what the makeup community is for! SO SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND SEND SOME LOVE MY WAY :)

Don't forget to check out my Youtube channel ~ ^__^



No comments :

Post a Comment